Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Pancakes From Scratch - Betty Crocker Big Red Cookbook

I'm a huge fan of pancakes and love making them from scratch.  Here's the recipe that I've been using for years courtesy of Betty Crocker's Big Red Cookbook.

ps I don't add the sugar and ues 2% fat free milk.  I do let the recipe sit for few minutes to thicken.  And when including fruit I serve it at the table.  I don't like to mix it in. 

1 large egg
1 cup all purpose or whole wheat flour
3/4 cup milk

1 tablespoon granulated or packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

margarine, butter or shortening for the griddle or skillet.  I use margarine...we don't like the taste of shortening and butter can sometimes burn

Beat egg in medium bowl with hand beater or whisk until fluffy.  Beat in remaining ingredients except butter just until smooth.  For thinner pancakes, stir in additional 1 or 2 tablespoons of milk. 

Heat griddle or skillet over medium heat or to 375 degrees.  Grease griddle with butter/margarine or shortening.

For each pancake, pour slightly less than 1/4 cup batter from cup or pitcher onto hot griddle.  Cook pancake until bubbly on top, puffed and dry around edges.  Turn and cook other side until golden brown.

7 comments:

Kelly L said...

Love pancakes with peanut butter and warm syrup..yummy!
I've Become My Mother
I've Become My Mother facebook
A Proud Member of Voice Boks!
Come Visit My Blog and See How You Can Join A Year Long Hop!

savastie09 said...

This is my favorite pancake recipe and everyone I make it for love it!

Mandi @ Finding Home said...

Hi Rona! My hubby and I googled a Betty Crocker pancake recipe and your blog post was the third that popped up. He is making them right now! We can't wait to dive in! Thanks for the recipe!! - Mandi

BerryMorins Bits & Tips said...

Thanks everyone for the awesome comments.

I still love making pancakes from scratch. These days, I do add a tsp of vanilla to the batter. Delicious!

Anonymous said...

My family LOVED the pancake recipe!!!!!!

BerryMorins Bits & Tips said...

That's awesome!

Anonymous said...

I have always used this recipe since I started cooking at 10 years old. Today I made it with coconut milk and coconut oil for the dairy free grandkids! Yum they were the best pancakes I have ever made! Added a bit of nutmeg and served with pumpkin Carmel sauce! Tis the season!