Saturday, July 23, 2011

Borders Is Closing Their Remaining Stores: Do You Think This is The End of the Large Brick and Mortar Bookstores?

I was on my way to kill sometime at our local Borders and had a rude awakening.  There was for leasing signs on the building and all of the signs and logos were removed.  What a let down!

Now the official announcement has been made the Borders will be closing their remaining stores by September 2011.

My husband and I started talking about the times we would spend an afternoon in a bookstore with Marcus and then head over to the Starbucks to have a coffee and a treat.  Nice memories.

Cut to our book buying habits in the last 6 years...we're Amazon.com book buyers.  It quick, we don't need to travel to a store and the prices are less.

So, it got me to thinking do you think this marks the end of the large brick and mortar bookstore?  Do you purchase your books and magazines online?  Do you have an E-reader?

2 comments:

Chocolate Covered Daydreams said...

I heard the same thing but the best time to shop will be when the prices are 50% off or more.

I don't think so. Here we have Powell's Books and it's a great place to spend the day. There's just something about smelling and feeling the pages between my hands. (I know...weird.)

Grandma Becky said...

I know and I was bummed. I spent an hour in there yesterday and bought one book. Wanted a certain cookbook but couldn't find it. I think I'll check at another Borders in another town south of me next Friday and see if it's there. I love shopping book stores. So maybe I'll have to get a Nook. I love books though! Less to keep track of and maybe cheaper that way>but I'm still old school!