Monday, December 19, 2011

Deaths Link to Neti Pot Users In Lousiana


I've been using a Neti Pot since this spring.

When used properly many people, including myself, have noticed less headaches and sinus congestion issues.

Recently, I read that there are been some deaths linked to some Neti Pot users. They died from Naegleria fowleri, the so-called brain-eating amoeba.

Here's a except from Yahoo Health article: A 51-year-old DeSoto Parish woman died after using tap water in a neti pot to irrigate her sinuses and became infected by the deadly amoeba, which entered the body through her nose. In June, a 20-year-old St. Bernard Parish man died under the same circumstances.

"If you are irrigating, flushing, or rinsing your sinuses, for example, by using a neti pot, use distilled, sterile or previously boiled water to make up the irrigation solution," said Louisiana State Epidemiologist, Dr. Raoult Ratard. "Tap water is safe for drinking, but not for irrigating your nose."

It's also recommended to rinse out the pot after every use and let air dry open.

1 comment:

The Working Home Keeper said...

Wow! I had no idea! I've used a neti pot in the past. I stopped because water was going into my ear, and then causing other problems! Makes me wonder how safe the saline squeeze bottles are.

Mary Ellen
The Working Home Keeper

Featured Post

Family Summer Book Club

My daughter-in-law came up with this fun idea to promote summer reading with our granddaughter. But we quickly realized it's fun for the...