Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Hello There, My Name is Fibromyalgia!


Hi. My name is Fibromyalgia, and I am an invisible chronic illness. I am Velcroed to you for life. Others around you can't see me or hear me, but YOUR body feels me. I can attack you anywhere or anyhow I please. I can cause you severe pain or if I'm in a good mood I can cause you to ache all over.

Remember when you and ENERGY ran around and had fun? I took ENERGY from you and gave you EXHAUSTION. Try to have fun now! I also took GOOD SLEEP from you, and in it's place gave you BRAIN FOG. I can make you tremble internally or make you cold or hot when everybody else feels normal. Oh, yeah, I can make you feel anxious or depressed too.

If you have something planned, or planning to have a great day, I can take that away from you too. You didn't ask for me, I chose you for various reasons: that virus you had that you never recovered from, or that car accident, or the years of abuse or trauma. Well, anyway, I'm here to stay.

I hear you're going to a doctor to get rid of me. I'm rolling in the floor laughing! Just give it a try. You will have to go to many doctors to find one who can help effectively. You will be put on pain pills, sleeping pills, energy pills, told you are suffering from anxiety or depression, given a TENS unit, get massaged, told if you sleep and exercise properly I will go away, to think positively, poked, prodded, and MOST OF ALL, not taken as seriously as you feel when you cry to the idea how debilitating life is every day.

Your family, friends, and co-workers, will all listen to you until they just get tired of hearing about how you feel and how debilitating life is every day. Some of them will say "You are just having a bad day", "Well remember you can't do the things you used to do 20 years ago", not hearing that you said 20 days ago. Some will just start talking behind your back, while you slowly feel you are losing your dignity trying to make them understand, especially when you are in a conversation with a Normal person and can't even remember what you were going to say next!

In closing, (I was hoping to keep this a secret!) but I suppose you already found out........the ONLY place you will get any support and understanding in dealing with me is with Other People With Fibromyalgia.

By: Brandon Crawford

1 comment:

Rita said...

I should have commented on this the first time I read it. I felt this way on the very day you put this blog post up. I am good today other than being a bit down. I think the pain of the last week has exhausted me and I have no energy for the fun things. I'm watching Andy Griffith and eating Tuna salad. Feeling better as the morning moves along. I hope to get some work done this afternoon. Thank You for this post!

Featured Post

Family Summer Book Club

My daughter-in-law came up with this fun idea to promote summer reading with our granddaughter. But we quickly realized it's fun for the...