Sunday, January 22, 2012

Tips for Coping with Chronic Pain, Fibromyalgia

I have found over the 12 years of living with severe chronic pain that my coping skills need occasion toning. What might have worked for me 3 years ago may not have any benefit now.

Over the years I've also become more confident to try something new. For example, I take regular walks despite the pain flareups. Walking especially helps me with reducing my stress anxiety and depression. (I do take anti-depressants)

Listening to the birds chirping, seeing the tree branches sway in the breeze bring me some moments of calmness to my racing thoughts. They're helpful during meditating.

Another self discovery...Bananas. I eat one every day after realizing a reduction in the throbbing and shooting pains in my hands. These days, my husband makes sure there are bananas in the fruit bowl.

I continue to research alternative treatments too. Check out WebMD Slideshow for more coping tips.

1 comment:

Helen Jones said...

As a single mother, living with fibromyalgia has not been easy. I have to maintain a full-time job, be there for my kids, and manage my pain. The key, I think is to change the way you approach your pain, and try to block out those negative thoughts that creep up so often. Sites like http://onlineceucredit.com/edu/social-work-ceus-pain also offer great advice for dealing with the emotions that come along with fibromyalgia.

Featured Post

Family Summer Book Club

My daughter-in-law came up with this fun idea to promote summer reading with our granddaughter. But we quickly realized it's fun for the...