Thursday, April 26, 2012

"Living Well with a Hidden Disablity: Transending Doubts and Shame and Reclaiming Your Life" Stacy Taylor

Here's an excellent book that is written for those of us who suffer from hidden illnesses, such as, Fibromyalgia, migraines, Lupus, and mental disorders that's actually informative, interactive and helpful.
One of the things I learned from reading this book is to share my condition with my dentist. At this year's cleaning I advised them of my back and neck pain. The dentist and his staff were very accommodating. They encouraged me to take breaks and stretch. 4 hours later, I was able to walk out of the dentist office without waddling.
There are tons of helpful suggestions about how to deal with parenting, relationships, friendships and work. Many will also find Chapter 2: The Stages of Grief ~ Working Toward Acceptance extremely beneficial. I do! Despite going through the grief process with a therapist 9 years ago with every diagnosis I've had to go through it again!
If you're suffering, spouse or caregiver of someone suffering from a hidden disability I definitely recommend that this book become part of your personal library!

1 comment:

Simone said...

Sounds like it's a treasure trove of information. I wouldn't have thought about being in the dentist chair. Good idea for being able to cope through the pain.

Featured Post

Family Summer Book Club

My daughter-in-law came up with this fun idea to promote summer reading with our granddaughter. But we quickly realized it's fun for the...