Thursday, August 09, 2012

Cooking Thursday ~ Southern Grits

I remember having a creamier version of grits many years ago, in a restaurant Wednesday morning. So, I decided that I would attempt to make the Southern Grits, at home. You know what? They turned out creamy and delicious. Hubby love them so much he asked me to make some this morning.
Ingredients 2 cups water 1 1/4 cups milk 1 teaspoon salt 1 cup quick-cooking grits, not instant (I use Quaker)
1/4 cup butter
Directions: 1 In a small pot, bring water, milk, and salt to a boil. 2 Slowly stir grits into boiling mixture.
3 Stir continuously and thoroughly until grits are well mixed.
4 Let the pot return to a boil, cover pot with a lid, lower the temperature, and cook for approximately 30 minutes stirring frequently. 5 Add more water if necessary.
6 Grits are done when they have the consistency of stiff cream of wheat. 7 Stir in butter.
8 Serve with additional butter, cheese, or red-eyed gravy on top of each portion,

5 comments:

Mari said...

Hi Rona - thanks for stopping at my blog.
I haven't had grits in a while, but these sure look good!

Sandra said...

My husband LOVES grits. I have got to make him some and these look so good :)

BerryMorins Bits & Tips said...

Sandra and Mari,
Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my post.

Grandma Becky said...

I've not had grits in quite awhile. We had them when we were in MO some years ago and were at a breakfast buffet. Yum. Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting! BTW, I finally made it to Big Lots a couple weeks ago. Spent $50 but we could use all of it! Take care!

BerryMorins Bits & Tips said...

Grandma Becky,
It's always a pleasure when you stop by for a visit.
Glad you were able to get to Big Lots. I love shopping at that store.

Featured Post

Family Summer Book Club

My daughter-in-law came up with this fun idea to promote summer reading with our granddaughter. But we quickly realized it's fun for the...