Thursday, August 23, 2012

Sometimes You Just Need a Mental Refresher!

As a depression sufferer of many years I've had some terrible therapists and a few good ones. Recently I've been struggling a bit since the introduction of the hot flashes and feeling overwhelmed with peri-menopausal symptoms. So it wasn't too surprising that I felt depressed sometimes. And due to my mental history, I quickly dialed my husband's EAP (Employee Assistance Program) provider for an appointment.

Source: goo.gl via Colby on Pinterest

EAP is a program that employers offer as a benefit. They usually will cover 6-12 counseling appointments with a local therapist.
On Friday, I had my first appointment with my new therapist. I found her refreshing when she asked me what I wanted to accomplish after I explained my mental history, including my stay at a mental institution. She advised me that I sounded like a positive person who takes their Major Depression Disorder seriously.
She assured me that the hubby and I can weather the storm and that she would look into holistic menopausal supplements for me. I'll be meeting with her once a week for 3-6 sessions. Wow! Let's just say I was impressed that she really wants to help me! That 30 minute session truly made me feel better.

2 comments:

Jean said...

I'm so proud of you for knowing that you needed help and seeking it out. I hope that you begin to feel better soon.

BerryMorins Bits & Tips said...

Thank you Jean.

Featured Post

Family Summer Book Club

My daughter-in-law came up with this fun idea to promote summer reading with our granddaughter. But we quickly realized it's fun for the...