Wednesday, August 01, 2012

The Spoon Theory: A Way of Explaining What It's Like Having a Chronic Ilness

Did I mention how much I love Twitter?! Well, if I haven't I am now! There's great support for those suffering from severe chronic pain conditions. And when one person tweets we all get to read it! hashtag #chronic pain
One the most common statements I hear from fellow sufferers is "My family/friend/spouse/lover just don't understand when I explain what my day is like."
Well, I'm no different. My husband and son are visual people. When they see the struggle on my face or watch how difficult it is for me to sit/walk/stand/squat they see my pain. But there are times, they have even admitted they forget.

Source: soc.li via Susan on Pinterest

Wouldn't it be nice to have some props to help paint a picture for our loved ones? That's where The Spoon Theory comes in, thanks Barefoot Baroness!
Think of it this way, give someone 12 spoons, take away a spoon for each task they list off once they wake up. The conclusion is that they run out of spoons before the end of the day. And as a chronic pain sufferer you have to think about how you're going to use "your spoons".
And please stop by Barefoot Baroness to read more about the spoons!

No comments:

Featured Post

Family Summer Book Club

My daughter-in-law came up with this fun idea to promote summer reading with our granddaughter. But we quickly realized it's fun for the...