Monday, April 15, 2013

Kelly's Korner Show Us Your Life: Healthy Tips for This Chronic Pain Chick

A couple of years ago, I decided to finally kick my opioid addiction. It was difficult and a long process. But I also knew it needed to be done!

I still had to manage my chronic pain and after online research I decided to approach it with a natural pain plan. And I'm much happier inside and out! Overtime I started doing moderate yoga, walking, water aerobics and light weights a few times a week. I find that with mixing it up I don't get bored. And the endorphins, that are released, are the natural pain relievers!

I also began to dust off my cookbooks and start cooking and baking from scratch. I discovered that I really enjoy cooking and baking. It's relaxing, food taste better and it's a great feeling to control the ingredients. We also saved money by not reducing processed foods, take-out and soda.

The improvements: lost 15 pounds, more endurance and less depression.

And don't forget your fruits and vegetables! A handful of berries, in the morning, are my all-time favorite. This gal can actually feel the swelling reducing in my hands and elbows. I've also found benefits from apples and bananas. As a family, we do our best to keep the snack bowl full of fresh fruit!

Another healthy tip of mine; mediation and experiencing quiet time. Just 10-15 minutes of mediation make all the difference in my day. Stress is big in my life so sometimes I get up early, sit and just listen to the quiet. It leaves me renewed!

In August 2011, I shared a photo of my daily pill intake. Here's what it looked like! pills for pain, muscle spasms, depression, stress



As of April 2013, here's what I'm taking on a daily basis.



I'm so proud of myself that I've been able to accomplish so much in 2 years!

No comments:

Featured Post

Family Summer Book Club

My daughter-in-law came up with this fun idea to promote summer reading with our granddaughter. But we quickly realized it's fun for the...