Thursday, April 11, 2013

Shhh! I'm Going to Talk About Chronic Pain and Sex

On April 26th, my husband and I will be celebrating our wedding anniversary! It's been 17 years, 19 years of living together and 25 years of being in love! And 13 years of severe chronic pain!

I still remember saying, "in sickness and in health", looking in each others eyes, holding clammy hands. Little did we know that we would be living, in sickness, after a car and work injury, I would be living with chronic pain and all its side effects!

And with all the medical experts, that I've seen over the 13 years, no one bothered to address the elephant in the room.

Let's face it! I love my husband but being intimate was the last thing on my mind! Chronic pain, physical limitations, and depression made lovemaking intolerable. And when you add medications...Well, You get my point!

It was my husband, who first expressed his frustration, over the lack of intimacy, after I had completed rehab, from a car accident in 2000. And since I was in therapy, at the time, I mentioned it during one of my session. She was a fantastic therapist who's specialty was chronic pain patients. She provided a supportive environment; which allowed me to vent, cry and then be ready to listen. I was given good advice, that I continue to follow today. not being afraid to plan, being creative and encouraging ongoing communication.!

Over the years, we've attend, what we call, "refresher sessions" together. It's been very helpful when I came to the decision to stop working in 2010.

My husband has advised me that he's taking a day off to celebrate our anniversary...and that I should take a long nap. Oh boy!

1 comment:

taruhan bola online said...

what is chronic on the sex??

Featured Post

Family Summer Book Club

My daughter-in-law came up with this fun idea to promote summer reading with our granddaughter. But we quickly realized it's fun for the...