Tuesday, April 16, 2013

What's All the Hoopla About Gabrielle Reece's Use of 'Submission'?

Volleyball star Gabrielle Reece and pro surfer Laird Hamilton have been married for 17 years. Recently Reece revealed the secret to their successful relationship is an "old fashioned" marriage.

If you haven't heard, seen or read about Gabrielle Reece, volleyball star, many are upset with Ms. Reece's use of "submission".

Here's a quote from her Today Show segment: “I think the idea of living with a partner is ‘How can I make their life better?'" Reece told "Today's" Natalie Morales. “So if I’m the woman and he’s the man, then yes, that’s the dynamic. I’m willing and I choose to serve my family and my husband because it creates a dynamic where he is then in fact acting more like a man and masculine and treating me the way I want to be treated."

Now for this gal, this isn't a new argument. I remember the big uproar over a book, The Surrendered Wife when it was released in 2001!

Many women and men, felt this book would push back feminists accomplishments back decades! But that didn't stop people from reading it. I remember placing myself on the wait list at the public library. The book was in huge demand.

So I guess I just wanted to say thanks to Gabrielle for sharing her thoughts and suggestions, on what makes her marriage tick. I also discovered that having a 'traditional marriage' works for us. And for all the haters out there...take a deep breath, breathe out and relax!

1 comment:

The Working Home Keeper said...

I have a copy of The Surrendered Wife and love it! I'm glad other women like Ms. Reece are boldly speaking about wifely submission.

Mary Ellen
The Working Home Keeper

Featured Post

Family Summer Book Club

My daughter-in-law came up with this fun idea to promote summer reading with our granddaughter. But we quickly realized it's fun for the...