Sunday, July 21, 2013

HuffPostLive: Fathers With Absent Fathers



Fathers are fast disappearing from American homes and one in three children, or approximately 15 million live without one according to the U.S. Census. The problem is especially pronounced in black families, where the figure increases to over half or around five million children.

When I read this I just wanted to cry. "What's going on"?

Here's what I wrote on June 16, 2013, titled, "Fathers Take Care of Your Daughters and Sons"

In our society, I feel that we underestimate the importance of a good father in our children's lives. When I hear our son's friends comment how lucky Marcus is for having a dad, my heart does break. These are grown men that still feel a hole that hasn't been filled. I can't count the times when my husband has gone to sports events to cheer on other people's sons, listened to them when they needed someone to or given advice when asked. Many even refer to him as Dad.

4 comments:

Carrie said...

I completely agree with you. I had a stepfather that terrorized our household. I'm forever grateful for the Lord giving me such a wonderful husband to be the loving father to our children. Fathers are so important to boys and girls!

Dina said...

This is so powerful! As a Black woman working in a Black underserved community, each day I see the fall-out (and yes, it's nuclear bomb like fall-out)in the lives of women, children and men.

Thank you for sharing this!

Linda@Creekside said...

Absolutely amen. For too long our culture has made men the butt of our jokes like they're some kind of morons or something. Our children need their daddys. Their grandpas. Their uncles.

BerryMorins Bits & Tips said...

Carrie, Dina and Linda,
Thank you so much for commenting. I truly believe this is an important topic that does need to be address.

Featured Post

Family Summer Book Club

My daughter-in-law came up with this fun idea to promote summer reading with our granddaughter. But we quickly realized it's fun for the...