Saturday, August 17, 2013

30 THINGS ABOUT MY INVISIBLE ILLNESS YOU MAY NOT KNOW

In honor of Invisible Chronic Illness Awareness Week 2013, Sept. 9-15, here's my 30 Things About My Invisible Illness You May Not Know list

1. The illnesses I live with is: Fibromyalgia, Myofascial Pain Syndrome, Compressed Cervical Discs, Herniated Lumbar Discs, Hidradenitis Suppurativa, Major Depression

2. I was diagnosed with it in the year: 2000

3. But I had symptoms since:: 2000

4. The biggest adjustments I had to make are: Adapting for my lost of range of motion, memory, and hand strength

5. Most people assume: I'm healthy

6. The hardest part about mornings are: Getting dressed has gotten more difficult due to the hand pain, severe pain in my lower back

7. My favorite medical TV show is: I don't have one

8. A gadget I could not live without is: my lobby upright dust pan ~no need for bending to sweep up dirt

9. The hardest part about nights are: relaxing my 'overstimulated' system enough to fall asleep

10. Each day I take 6 pills & vitamins.

11. Regarding alternative treatments : I exercise, diet, mediation, listen to music

12. If I had to choose between an invisible illness or visible I would choose: invisible illness

13. Regarding working and career: I am no longer working

14. People would be surprised to know: I was once committed to a mental institution

15. The hardest thing to accept about my new reality has been: is that my symptoms continue to change as I age

16. Something I never thought I could do with my illness that I did was:I can ride a bike

17. The commercials about my illness: They don't apply to me.

18. Something I really miss doing since I was diagnosed is:

being able to do more for myself without further injury or pain flare ups

19. It was really hard to have to give up: Actually, it hasn't been that difficult to give up things thanks to continuous counseling

20. A new hobby I have taken up since my diagnosis is: swimming

21. If I could have one day of feeling normal again I would: Really? What's normal? This is my new normal

22. My illness has taught me: Stop blaming myself.

23. Want to know a secret? One thing people say that gets under my skin is: I suffer more than you do since you don't take opioid medication.

24. But I love it when people: You have a wonderful smile.

25. My favorite motto, scripture, quote that gets me through tough times is: 'My grace is sufficient for thee; for my strength is made perfect in weakness". 2 Corinthians 12:9

26. When someone is diagnosed I like to tell them: I'm sorry to hear that.

27. Something that has surprised me about living with an illness is: How much time it takes up managing it. Woo.

28. The nicest thing someone did for me when I didn’t feeling well: My husband took the day off, made me lunch and we watched a funny movie together.

29. I’m involved with Invisible Illness Week because: to learn, to educate, to spread awareness

30. The fact that you read this list makes me feel: Great. Now, that you're finished reading my list, go out there and have a terrific day.

4 comments:

Myndi Orr said...

love your perspective! thanks for sharing :)

Cynthia Lott Vogel said...

Reading your answers have inspired me to do put my answers in the meme as well.
Glad to hear you are hanging in there.

Pajama Daze said...

Really love your cheerfulness...you radiate with deep joy that chronic illness can't squelch.

healthfulsaver.com said...

Thank you for sharing your personal experience and point of view. This is enlightening for me in my interaction with loved ones dealing with depression and other hidden conditions.

Featured Post

Family Summer Book Club

My daughter-in-law came up with this fun idea to promote summer reading with our granddaughter. But we quickly realized it's fun for the...