Monday, September 02, 2013

Miss Understood: Learning to Live Without Painkillers

National Pain Report, September 2nd, 2013 by Arlene Grau, Columnist

Some doctors give chronic pain sufferers such as myself pain medication as if they were candy. But I know my body and I know when there are too many toxins going into it. I’m proud to say I no longer use pain medication.

I slowly detoxed and, although I’m constantly in pain, I refuse to take anything for it. Some people think I’m crazy or ignorant for choosing to kick painkillers, but my accident was a wake up call.

I no longer feel like dying would solve my problems with chronic pain. Although many people don’t understand, I’m doing this for my children. Others are quick to suggest I take a painkiller when I tell them how bad I feel, but for the first time in years I’m thinking clearly. There are good and bad days, but the good definitely outweigh the bad.

You can the full article on National Pain Report

2 comments:

Chava said...

I agree! With fibromyalgia it's constantly medicate medicate medicate. I found the longer I go without pain killers the more tolerant I am to pain. I take OTC pain killers if I need to but the super heavy stuff scares me.

BerryMorins Bits & Tips said...

Chava,
I found out the hard way that opioids aren't the answer. I have rough days and even terrible days.
I have learned to listen to my body, give it much needed rest and sleep so that I can endure the around-the-clock pain.

Featured Post

Family Summer Book Club

My daughter-in-law came up with this fun idea to promote summer reading with our granddaughter. But we quickly realized it's fun for the...