Saturday, November 23, 2013

HuffPostLive: The Stigma Of Mental Illness

excerpt from HuffPostLive, Nov. 20, 2013: When people are diagnosed with cancer, friends often bring prepared food and provide comfort. But when someone suffers from mental illness, friends seem to shy away. Why do certain illnesses illicit compassion and others fear?



When I was released from the mental institution, 3 years ago, I wasn't surprised that people didn't know what to say or do. Let's face it...mental illness has very negative images. But I don't blame them.

I had to come to terms, with my Major Depression, first. Once I did that, I found people were very compassionate and supportive.

1 comment:

mull said...

when you see "the fault of our own star" so you be feel how is cancer life

Featured Post

Family Summer Book Club

My daughter-in-law came up with this fun idea to promote summer reading with our granddaughter. But we quickly realized it's fun for the...