Monday, August 11, 2014

Travel Tips for Transplant Recipients

I have to thank Dawn, SpoonieChat host, for sharing this article. I've been on the lookout for travel tip articles and blog posts for people living with chronic illness. So, if you have one that you would like to share, please let me know.

Have Transplant, Will Travel 10 Tips for Transplant Recipients by Jack Fassnacht

Having a transplant shouldn’t keep anyone from traveling; it just requires a little extra planning. By making travel arrangements in advance, I’ve been able to travel throughout the United States on both hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis. Now that I have a kidney transplant, it’s even easier to travel. I’ve visited 14 National Parks, Niagara Falls (awesome!) and over twenty different countries with my new kidney.

Based on my experiences over the years, here are 10 tips to help make traveling with a transplant easier and safer:

1. More is more! Take a greater supply of your medications than you think you will need. Due to car problems, missed flights, or just the desire to enjoy an extra day at the beach, trips sometimes last longer than you originally planned. Avoid running out of your medicines by taking more than you think you will need. And don’t guess when it comes to quantity–count pills out before you go!

You can read the entire article at The National Kidney Foundation.

No comments:

Featured Post

Family Summer Book Club

My daughter-in-law came up with this fun idea to promote summer reading with our granddaughter. But we quickly realized it's fun for the...