Monday, September 08, 2014

Sept. 2014: Invisible Illness 30 Things About Me


September 8 - 14th is Invisible Illness Awareness Week. If you are someone, who suffers from an invisible illness or has a loved one, stop by Invisible Illness Awareness website for more details, watch videos and read other Invisible Illness participants' blog post.

1. The illness I live with is: Fibromyalgia, Myofascial Pain Syndrome, Compressed Cervical Discs, Herniated Lumbar Discs, Hidradenitis Suppurativa, Major Depression

2. I was diagnosed with it in the year: 2000

3. But I had symptoms since: Depression started when I was in my teens.

4. The biggest adjustment I’ve had to make is: Adapting for my lost of range of motion, memory, and hand strength. Increased pain levels interfere with daily functions.

5. Most people assume: I'm healthy.

6. The hardest part about mornings are: Getting dressed has gotten more difficult due to the hand pain, severe pain in my lower back. Sometimes, I experience skin irritation from synthetic fabrics. (hives, rashes)

7. My favorite medical TV show is: I don't have a favorite medical TV show.

8. A gadget I couldn’t live without is: my lobby upright dust pan ~no need for bending to sweep up dirt

9. The hardest part about nights are: relaxing my 'overstimulated' system enough to fall asleep

10. Each day I take 6 pills & vitamins. (No comments, please)

11. Regarding alternative treatments I: I exercise, watch what I eat~reduce processed foods, mediation, listen to music.

12. If I had to choose between an invisible illness or visible I would choose: Neither.

13. Regarding working and career: As of 2010, I am no longer working.

14. People would be surprised to know: I was once committed to a mental institution.

15. The hardest thing to accept about my new reality has been: Sometimes, it's difficult to answer, "What do you do"? But, it's getting easier. I usually say, "I'm a housewife"!

16. Something I never thought I could do with my illness that I did was: Ride a bike. Yes, I can do it for a quick trip around the parking lot.

17. The commercials about my illness: They don't apply to me.

18. Something I really miss doing since I was diagnosed is: Having more energy to get things done in the day.

19. It was really hard to have to give up: Actually, it hasn't been that difficult to give up things thanks to continuous counseling and adapting to my physical limitations.
20. A new hobby I have taken up since my diagnosis is: swimming.

21. If I could have one day of feeling normal again I would: Banded the word, Normal! Really? What's normal? This is my new normal.

22. My illness has taught me: I can adapt. I can change. That I do like me. To stop blaming myself.

23. Want to know a secret? One thing people say that gets under my skin is: When they start off with, "My friend, sister, brother has the same thing as you and they don't..." Urg! I just phase out till they stop talking, smile, nod, and wish they a good day!

24. But I love it when people: You have a wonderful smile.

25. My favorite motto, scripture, quote that gets me through tough times is: 'My grace is sufficient for thee; for my strength is made perfect in weakness". 2 Corinthians 12:9

26. When someone is diagnosed I’d like to tell them: I'm sorry to hear that.

27. Something that has surprised me about living with an illness is: How many different forms of chronic pain conditions there are.

28. The nicest thing someone did for me when I wasn’t feeling well was: My husband took the day off, made me lunch and we watched a funny movie together.

29. I’m involved with Invisible Illness Week because: to learn, to educate, to spread awareness. 30. The fact that you read this list makes me feel:

1 comment:

Angel The Alien said...

I have depression too. And fibromyalgia runs in my family, so I will probably get it some day.

Featured Post

Family Summer Book Club

My daughter-in-law came up with this fun idea to promote summer reading with our granddaughter. But we quickly realized it's fun for the...