Skip to main content

Our Lives Have Been Touched By Gun Violence



One of my husband's co-workers and friend was ambushed, by 3 men, in front of his home. He was shot multiple times. Sadly, the circumstance of his death came to no surprise in Las Vegas. The murder rate has climbed over the months. It's not unusual to hear about 1-2 murders daily.

This week, we attended the funeral. I kept telling myself I wasn't going to cry. No good. I balled my eyes out.

I thought about all of the people we have loved and lost. I thought about his children, family and loved ones who are not only grieving due to his lost but now have to face a murder trial.

His mother's presence and words did give me strength. Many friends and family shared poems and stories. I found my heart getting lighter.

It's times like this that I'm reminded that we're not here forever. I don't want to be a bitter person. It's not a good look and wears one's soul down.

I want to experience the joys in my life and hold onto them.

I want to tell my husband how much I appreciate his love and support all day long!

I want to kiss and hug my son, daughter-in-law to be and grandchildren all day long.

I want to believe, that when it's my time to say good-bye that my family will be fine.

I want to see the violence stop

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cheap Korean Beef With Brown Rice: My Short-On-Time Dinner Recipe

When I'm short on time and still need to make dinner this is my go-to recipe. What's your go-to recipe?



Korean Beef with Brown Rice

1 pound lean ground beef
1/4 - 1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup soy sauce (I use low-sodium)
1 Tablespoon sesame oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
1/2 - 1 teaspoon crushed red peppers (to desired spiciness)
salt and pepper
1 bunch green onions, diced (don't skip this!)

Heat a large skillet over medium heat and brown hamburger with garlic in the sesame oil. Drain most of the fat and add brown sugar, soy sauce, ginger, salt and pepper and red peppers. Simmer for a few minutes to blend the flavors. Serve over steamed rice and top with green onions.

Kelly's Korner Show Us Your Life: Desserts

Kelly's Korner Show Us Your Life topic for this week is desserts! Just in time for the holiday season!

Our family favorite desserts are cake and fry bread!

I first discovered the strawberry fridge cake on Pinterest, this summer. We love strawberries, cake and that's its kept in the fridge. I'll definitely be making it again! Source: duncanhines.com via Rona on Pinterest strawberry fridge cake

Marcus and I first came across fry bread while living in Maine. There it's called fried dough. It's typically served at fairs.

I forgot about it after moving to San Diego but when he needed an American Indian recipe for a school project we came across our go to recipe! Source: kingarthurflour.com via Rona on Pinterest frybread

2 cups white flour
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup milk
Deep hot oil in frypan or fryer

Sift dry ingredients. Lightly stir in milk. Add more flour as necessary to make a dough you can handle. Kneed and work the dough on a floured …

Pancakes From Scratch - Betty Crocker Big Red Cookbook

I'm a huge fan of pancakes and love making them from scratch.  Here's the recipe that I've been using for years courtesy of Betty Crocker's Big Red Cookbook.

ps I don't add the sugar and ues 2% fat free milk.  I do let the recipe sit for few minutes to thicken.  And when including fruit I serve it at the table.  I don't like to mix it in. 

1 large egg
1 cup all purpose or whole wheat flour
3/4 cup milk

1 tablespoon granulated or packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

margarine, butter or shortening for the griddle or skillet.  I use margarine...we don't like the taste of shortening and butter can sometimes burn

Beat egg in medium bowl with hand beater or whisk until fluffy.  Beat in remaining ingredients except butter just until smooth.  For thinner pancakes, stir in additional 1 or 2 tablespoons of milk. 

Heat griddle or skillet over medium heat or to 375 degrees.  Grease griddle with butter/margarine …